ATLANTIC Grand Hotel Bremen
With its elaborate architecture, Böttcherstraße - located in the historic district and directly adjacent to ATLANTIC Grand Hotel – is a cultural monument and one of the most frequently visited tourist attractions. The buildings primarily date back to the time between 1922 and 1931 and, for the largest part, came into being thanks to the Bremen coffee merchant and patron Ludwig Roselius (1874–1943). Roselius commissioned the sculptor, painter and architect Bernhard Hoetger (1874-1949) with the artistic design.
The expressionist buildings have been classified as historic monuments in their entirety since 1973 and today accommodate the museums of Böttcherstraße, artisan craft shops, gastronomy businesses and retail stores. In the following, we have listed a number of important buildings: Paula-Modersohn-Becker house: erected in 1927 by the architect Hoetger, it initially served as an exhibition and sales room. Today it harbours workshops for artisan craft as well as a number of shops.
Roselius House: This is the oldest building in Böttcherstraße, and its construction dates back to the 14th century. It initially served as the administrative seat of Ludwig Roselius and was extended in 1928 to provide space for additional art collections. To this very day it is used as a museum.
St. Petrus House (House of Saint Peter): The building was constructed by Eduard Scotland and Alfred Runge between 1923 and 1927. Back then - and also today - it serves a gastronomic purpose. The restaurant “Ständige Vertretung im Flett” and a so-called “Weinkontor” (wine station) guarantee a deliciously tasty experience. What is more, it also hosts event locations of ATLANTIC Grand Hotel, “die Goldenen Säle“, which can be accessed both via Böttcherstraße as well as via the hotel.
House of the Seven Lazy Brothers: This building was erected by the architects Eduard Scotland and Alfred Runge between 1924 and 1927. Advertising rooms of Kaffee HAG used to be situated here. The naming after the “Seven Lazy Brothers”, the Bremen mythical figures, ensued after 1954. They support the gable of the house as stone figures.
Atlantis House: Constructed by Bernhard Hoetger, the purpose of this house was that of embodying the utopian world of Atlantis. The house, erected in art deco style, is characterised by modern glass forms, wood and steel concrete. Speeches and lectures were once frequently held here.
Glockenspiel House: This building came into being by converting warehouses. Today it serves as an archive and administration building for Böttcherstraßen GmbH. The first glockenspiel was inaugurated in 1934 and consisted of 30 porcelain bells. The particularity of the glockenspiel is its connection to ten carved wooden panels in the Ludwig-Roselius house. This shows scenes of well-known ocean conquerors and rotates to the sound of the glockenspiel.
Website by redeleitundjunker.de