As a new member of the ATLANTIC family, we warmly welcome you to the Hotel Kieler Yacht Club!
Our establishment is closely connected to sailing even today – the hotel still contains relics from the early years of the Imperial Yacht Club of 1887. Designed in a modern-maritime style, it is one of the most historic hotels in the city. Due to its exclusive location between Düsternbrook Wood and Kiel Fjord, it offers a unique view of the so-called “Millions Basin” with its impressive yachts.
The well-appointed rooms invite you to relax and unwind. The experienced kitchen team in the hotel’s own restaurant are on hand to ensure culinary delights of the highest standard. Whether family celebrations, receptions, meetings or banquets – our guests are given three spacious function rooms for up to 250 people that are bathed in light and fitted with the state-of-the-art equipment. The traditional “Kaisersaal” as well as the “Kommodore Saal” combine elegance with a high degree of functionality. Let yourself be surprised by a successful combination of tradition and innovation – we look forward to pampering you!
The Imperial Yacht Club was originally founded in 1887 as the “Naval Regatta Association” by officers of the Imperial Navy in the building of the Naval Academy in Kiel. Four years later, Emperor Wilhelm II granted his approval for the Naval Regatta Association to be renamed the “Imperial Yacht Club” and declared himself its commodore.
Towards the end of the century, the Imperial Yacht Club was forced to seek new premises, as the Navy itself needed space for expansion. Friedrich Krupp invited the KYC to build a clubhouse on his property on Hindenburgufer (now called Kiellinie). By 1900 the building was completed and the KYC moved in. Following the complete destruction of the clubhouse in World War I, a new building was erected in 1926 on the foundations of the old machine house – the current Hotel Kieler Yacht Club, which continues to house the Kiel Yacht Club to this day.
In the wake of World War II, the house was luxuriously rebuilt in the early 1950s, and was first used as a hotel in 1954. Over the next few years, the hotel’s 17 guest rooms were expanded and modernized. At the end of the 60s, when Kiel was chosen as a venue for the Olympic Games, it was decided to build an extension – then called the Olympic Wing – with 39 guest rooms and an à la carte restaurant overlooking the Kiel Fjord. In 1972, the Spanish King Juan Carlos, Greece’s former King Constantine and King Carl Gustav of Sweden stayed at the Hotel Kieler Yacht Club when they came to watch the Olympic Games.
After the hotel was taken over by ThyssenKrupp AG in July 2007, a decision was taken at the end of 2008 to demolish the Olympic Wing and lavishly refurbish the old section of the building.
Today, the Hotel Kieler Yacht Club has 18 double rooms and 3 suites. The function rooms, including “Kaisersaal” and “Kommodore Saal”, have been restored to their former glory. Offering an exceptional combination of style and function, they are among the most historic banqueting halls in the state capital.
As of 1 April 2018, 94 percent of the shares in the project company “Möwe” were acquired by ATLANTIC Hotels. Owned by the Bremen-based businessmen Joachim Linnemann and Kurt Zech, the ATLANTIC Hotel Group is thus the new owner and operator of the Hotel Kieler Yacht Club. Six percent of the shares remain in the ownership of the Kieler Yacht Club. The members of the Kieler Yacht Club (KYC) can continue to use the house in their customary manner.